Saturday, March 22, 2014

Painting en plein air

Mom & Dad
Have been a  painter for the past two weeks, not writer. And had always wanted to paint en plein air, like the great Impressionists. En plein air just means painting outdoors, but it sounds sophisticated when you use the French expression.

When one does contemporary art, one's critics, generally speaking, one's near and dear, assume one can't draw realistically, which is why one resorts to abstract or impressionist art. So I proved I could, by painting a portrait or twin portrait of my parents, which took me a week to get to three-fourths completion. My father's teeth alone took me about half-an-hour!


Today I wanted to do some quick work, for a change, and asked my son, who was busy painting a surrealist self-portrait, to complete it outside on the terrace. And I painted him painting his painting. Mine is just an impression of the emotions of the moment, a breezy, timeless evening with my son. The French Impressionists were concerned with the light and its effects, but I wasn't. I just painted, with no such agenda. Only wanted to finish before dark. Here it is.
Painting the Breeze

No comments:

Post a Comment